A simple elderberry recipe to make at home with dried elderberries, honey and herbs. This will cost you less than buying syrup from the store and you can customize the recipe to your own taste and flavour.
This recipe is safe for kids over 1 year old as it uses honey.
• 3½ cups of water
• 2 tablespoon of grated ginger (more if you want a stronger taste)
• 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (can substitute for cinnamon stick but not a whole stick as you don’t want the taste to be overpowering)
• 2 whole cloves
• 1 cup raw honey (adjust to your taste)
1. Pour the water into a medium saucepan with the elderberry, ginger, cinnamon and cloves
2. Bring to boil then cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 40 minutes – 1 hour until the liquid is reduced by half
3. Remove from heat. When possible to handle, use a wooden spoon mash the elderberries
4. Strain into a glass jar or bowl and discard the elderberries
5. Allow to cool to lukewarm temperature then stir in the raw honey until mixed well
6. Store in a air tight jar in the fridge, can be kept up to 2 months.
Kids: ½ – 1 teaspoon
Adults: ½ – 1 tablespoon
When unwell, take the normal dosage every 3 – 4 hours.